- The global hydrogenated nitrile butadiene rubber (HNBR) market was valued at US$ 31.5 Mn in 2018, and is projected to expand at a CAGR of ~ 8% during the forecast period.
- The global hydrogenated nitrile butadiene rubber (HNBR) market is driven by the rise in the demand for hydrogenated nitrile butadiene rubber in automotive applications such as fuel system seals, hoses, engine seals, grommets, gaskets, transmission system bonded piston seals, A/C seals, and hoses.
- Asia Pacific accounts for a substantial share of the global HNBR market, led by the increase in the demand for hydrogenated nitrile butadiene rubber in oil & gas and automotive applications.
Key Drivers of the Hydrogenated Nitrile Butadiene Rubber (HNBR) Market
- Hydrogenated nitrile butadiene rubber is characterized by its physical strength and retention properties, even after long-term exposure to oil, heat, and chemicals. This is expected to boost the demand for HNBR in various oil & gas, construction, machinery, and automotive applications.
- Hydrogenated nitrile butadiene rubber is widely used in the construction and civil engineering sectors, in applications such as mounting structures, bridge bearings, expansion joints, pipe couplings, water barriers, roofing membranes, rubberized asphalt, and concrete texturing.
- Unique properties exhibited by hydrogenated nitrile butadiene rubber have boosted its demand in industrial, automotive, and performance-demanding applications. In terms of volume, the automotive industry is a major consumer of hydrogenated nitrile butadiene rubber, which is used in a host of dynamic and static seals, belts, and hoses.
Top Two Players Accounted for ~ 80% Market Share in 2018
The global hydrogenated nitrile butadiene rubber (HNBR) market is dominated by two major players — Zeon Chemical L.P. and ARLANXEO. These companies held ~ 80% share in 2018. The hydrogenated nitrile butadiene rubber market is dominated by Zeon Chemical L.P., which is the largest manufacturer of hydrogenated nitrile butadiene rubber and other synthetic rubbers across the globe. The company has the largest distribution network and operates across all major regions. Zeon Chemicals L.P. aims to steadily invest in R&D. It aims to focus on long-term research and on areas that can be commercialized in the short term.